Hardfork Update Process
To maintain consensus, all full nodes validate blocks using the same consensus rules. However, sometimes the consensus rules are changed to introduce new features or prevent network abuse. A hard fork will be performed when the new consensus rules are introduced. Hard fork creates a permanent divergence in the block chain, where non-upgraded nodes can’t validate blocks created by upgraded nodes that follow newer consensus rules.
Requirement for Hard fork
Hard Fork FIP, including the full list of changes that will be released during the hard fork update.
Hard Fork Update Process
- Pick hard fork activation block sequence
- Get approval for the hard fork FIP
- Make testnet block activation PR
- Release and deploy to testnet
- Make announcement about the testnet hard fork
- Testnet upgrade window
- Testnet activation
- Make mainnet block activation PR
- Release and deploy to mainnet
- Make announcement about the mainnet hard fork
- Mainnet upgrade window
- Mainnet activation
Hard Fork Upgrade Window
We aim to give a 1-week for testnet upgrad window and 3-weeks for mainnet upgrade window. During the upgrade window, we will proactively encourage miners, exchanges, wallet providers and node users to upgrade to the new version.